Wednesday, May 7, 2014

More than a "Five Year Plan"

Sometimes I have this problem where I think I need to plan out every little detail of my life. For a long time, I made detailed "five year plans." 

Funny story... my plan is never what happens. 

If you would have asked the 5 year old me what I would be doing at this point in my life, I would have said that I saw myself as a professional football player.

Obviously that plan has changed! :)

As I look back on my 20 years of life, I can't help but sometimes laugh. I thought that this perfect life I had dreamed up for myself was the best option ever. I've learned, however, that there is someone who knows me better than I know myself. Someone who knows who I can become. Someone who is helping me get there. My Heavenly Father. His plan for me is perfect!

Rapunzel, in the movie "Tangled" (one of the greatest movies of all time) has a goal to see the floating lanterns. When she meets the striking Flynn Rider, she comes up with her plan that he will be the one to take her to her destination. Simple enough right? No. The story would be no good if there wasn't a crazy old lady trying to keep Rapunzel's "gift" to herself, a horse that has some sass and a man named Vladimir who collects ceramic unicorns! The ending would not have the same effect if it wasn't for the journey that Rapunzel had gone through. Her journey allowed her to grow and reach the potential that she had to be a princess. 

Things in this life aren't always going to go as WE plan but as we follow direction we receive from our Heavenly Father, things will go according to HIS plan. HIS plan is perfect. Most times, we won't be able to see how things will turn out. That is where faith steps in. If we trust in God, we can keep pushing forward even when we can't fully see what is ahead. We can trust that He has a plan for us that is better than our own. We can trust that He will help us become the amazing people He knows we can be. 

I have a wonderful friend named Joy who is such a good example to me and recently joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, along with her mom. As I was visiting with her last week, she said something that really struck me. Although she is a planner, Joy said she has come to know that God has a perfect plan for her. Her faith amazes me! Joy was willing to share how she has come to know of God's perfect plan. 


"With the different health related trials I've been dealing with, it's been so shocking to me how much easier it all is now that I have direction and guidance from my Heavenly Father. Before, when I was trying to 'figure it out on my own' I would have these breakdowns pretty regularly where I just felt like I didn't have it in me to go to another doctor's appointment, get another procedure done, have another surgery...etc. I was directionless and I felt like I was running out of strength. But after I started to build my relationship with the Lord, I had a new source of strength. Now, if something seems difficult, I just take a moment to say a prayer or look up a scripture and I feel the courage to carry on with a smile. I know that God would never put something in my path that I couldn't handle and every trial I face, if I stay close to God, will just lead me to my happiest possible life."


I have learned so much from Joy and her example of trusting in the Lord and His timing. She didn't ask for or expect her trials to come...none of us do; but we can rely on the Lord and trust that He is leading us in the right direction. We can trust that if we follow His plan, it will lead us to the greatest happiness. 


Just as Rapunzel experiences great joy at the end of the movie, we can experience true and lasting joy as we trust in God and in His timing. We can know that as we do our part, God will bless us. 


Mosiah chapter 2 verse 41 in The Book of Mormon says, "And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." 


 What an incredible promise! Keep the commandments and we will have never-ending happiness. That is what our loving Father in Heaven wants for all of His children. He knows the way there and is helping us get there. So when curve balls come, or His plan take you somewhere you didn't expect, remember that He loves you and is leading you to never-ending happiness!


1 comment:

  1. Amen! I know that God has a plan for each of us and loves each of us with a perfect love we can't comprehend. No matter the different paths we must take as part of our personal journey through life, Jesus Christ must be made the center of our lives in order for the plan to work and bring us lasting happiness :)

    ReplyDelete